Monday, April 28, 2014

Songkran

Happy(belated) Thai new year! You all missed quite the celebration. Songkran is absolute madness--it reminded me of carnaval, but with water guns. At night the streets are like Times Square on New Year's Eve. Songkran is basically a 4 day country wide water fight. Everyone is out, everyone is drunk, everyone is trying to soak you with water and smear this goopy white paste onto your face. Good times. 
Apparently in Thailand its a thing to sprinkle water for good luck, so the water symbolizes good luck in the new year? Or something like that. But over the years I guess it's morphed into a huge crazy party. It was SO nice that I was staying with Joc, my friend who lives in Bangkok. It was a few crazy days, and such a unique experience. Really fun. 

While in Bangkok I made an impulse purchase and flew round trip back to Cambodia for a few days. Had a nice time in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville (beach), and now I have a slightly extended visa for Thailand since I got another 30 days when I flew back. Win.

Also, before Songkran started, I was able to explore Bangkok a little more. I also took a 2 hour meditation course at a Wat, led by a monk, which was an interesting experience. 

I also have my return ticket home now, which feels weird and sad and final--but I'm also really excited! Looks like ill be in NY June 18-29 an Boston until July 3rd. If you're on the east coast, pencil me in! 

Sending big ol hugs and kisses home to everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment